There was pandemonium at the Municipality of Marondera council chambers recently after the local business community members walked out of a supplementary budget meeting accusing councillors and management of not taking their concerns seriously.
The angry business community operating under the Marondera Urban Business Association (MUBA) banner said they will only participate in a budget consultative meeting after council provide answers to their queries.
Open Council Marondera got hold of a letter addressed to council containing some of the grievances by the business people.
Below are the 10 queries that resulted in the fallout and which the council is required to respond before they progress as a team.
- Tell us more about the parking metre company (i.e its name , shareholders) and what has been done with the income generated from the project.
- How many workshops/ conferences are being attended per anum, by how many people and at what cost?
3.Where is the new billing system that has been on promise ever since the ZimAsset blueprint was launched?
- Where is the refuse truck that was promised by (former) Mayor (Anthony) Makwindi during his time? The last time was that it was at the border. (Makwindi was the mayor in the previous council whose term ended after the July 2018 elections.
5.Why are there still election posters everywhere around town?
- How many vehicles have council bought this year and who is accountable for them and their use?
7.Please shed light on the Hunyani land scam as featured in the tabloids
- What is being done about the bad roads in the industrial site before the rainy season?
- Please may we have an update regarding water supply
10.What is being done about non-complicit vendors operating on business fronts? The businesses are simultaneously being predated upon by council for revenue collection.
The business community said they can only participate in budget meetings after council provide answers to their queries as well as improving its communication system with the residents. Meanwhile, there are massive divisions within stakeholders in Marondera due to bad communication skills.