After being voted into the office in 2018, the MDC councillors have been accused of underperforming by both residents and the business community.
Recently, the government did send a Commission of Inquiry to the local authority to investigate alleged cases of corruption and abuse of office allegations by both Councillors and management.
However, according to Mayor Chengetai Murowa, the MDC led council has achieved a lot within a short space of time as they try to improve the livelihoods of residents.
According to the Town Mayor below are the top eight achievements achieved by the MDC councillors in Marondera
1.Purchasing of five service vehicles.
Council bought five Nissan Pick Up trucks that are currently being used mainly in the sewer, security and water works department.
- Installation of robots and street lights along Ruzawi road. Marondera Town recently installed robots mainly along Harare-Mutare highways to control traffic.
3.Drilling of 16 boreholes across the town. Council drilled boreholes with each ward getting a borehole to alleviate water shortages.
- Road maintenance in Wards. Each ward had its worst road rehabilitated.
- Installation of a solar system at council premises. Due to massive load shedding, council workers had to turn home ratepayers as they could not bill without power. The installation of a solar system therefore enables council to collect or bill every cent hence increasing revenue.
6.Upgrading of the water system. The upgrade is currently underway at the waterworks plant in the industrial area as council seeks to provide enough water to residents. The upgrade will see non-functioning infrastructure being put to use.
- Recruitment of personel. The councillors moved to recruit personel to fill the vacant posts that are crucial in the development of town eg the health department and the recent vacant post of a Town Clerk.
- Servicing of new residential stands. Council is currently servicing the new residential stands to be parcelled out to home-seekers along Ruzawi Road